Recently I was looking at different ERP services for our company, and I came across this open Source CRM program, as many of you know SugarCRM is a powerful Open Source CRM. So I took the chance to try to set it up on public hosting services with cPanel. It is actually quite simple, I am not an internet GURU, but it took me less than an hour to install it. Here are the steps
1. Download SugarCRM from SugarCRM. Make sure to download the full installation package (not the one with the bitRock Installer).
2. Goto your cPanel setup screen. If you want your sugar to be a subdomain (e.g. sugar.yourdomain.com) then you can first add a subdomain. Goto your cPanel login screen, and click on "subdomains" under "Domain". I have one setup under sugar, so I type in
"sugar" in the empty box where you can add subdomains, and select the domain where you want to add this under. Click on the add button and you will see a successful message.
3. When that is done you need to setup a MySQL account, go back to the login screen for cPanel, and goto "MySQL" under "database". goto the empty box where it says "Db:________Add Db" and add the database, for this you might want to use something like sugarCRM. After that you will need to Add user, type in the username and password you want to use for your database, this is the master password for the MySQL database(we call it the Database_username, and Database_password). Hold on, we are not done yet, we need one more step, we need to add that user to that specific database you have just recently created. Look under the under the "Database" label and local "User:_____ Db:_____", select the user and database name that you have just created and click on the "Add user to DB" button. Remember that the way cPanel labels the database is yourdomain.com_yourDBName, in this case it is yourdomain.com_sugarCRM. Now you are ready for installation.
4. The reason we download the SugarOS without the installer is cPanel already has MySQL installed, so we can just create it there. Now we need to upload the Sugar to the FTP server onto cPanel, there is a few ways to do this. You can either setup a user account for the site's FTP and upload with an FTP agent, or you can upload with the built in Java FTP agent. I went with the second option, which was quick and easy. Goto "Ftp Manager" under "Site Management" and choose "UnlimitedFTP". Now you can upload the unpacked content to the FTP server. Adding the subdomain should create a default directory under your "public_html" directory, go there and unload all your content. For my installation, I used sugar.yourdomain.com, so I just uploaded all the content to public_html/sugar/
5. After the long wait of the upload, goto http://yourdomain.com/sugar/. The installation is now more than half way. Skip the default welcome page and The system will perform a system check, if they are all green then you can just click next. On the next page (step:3) you will be quizzed of the recent names that you just made up. Let's first start with the questions:
Host name : localhost
Database Name : yourdomain.com_sugarCRM
Username for SugarCRM: Yourdoma_sugarcr
The user name only takes the first 8 char and the last 7 char for database username. You should always verify the user name and database name in the "MySQL" menu under "Database", make sure to include the full name, a copy and paste can ensure that you got the full name with the _ in between.
Password for SugarCRM: Database_Password
These are nothing more than the names that you have created before. Next is a few clicks on if you needed demo data. I wanted a clean install, so I went with only the privileged user choice.
6. The next page asks you of more question, you need to type the URL of the subdomain to make this work. The URL should be sugar.yourdomain.com. Then you have to decide an administrative password. Type that twice and click on next to goto the confirm page. Make sure everything is typed correctly and you can wrap up the installation with the "finish" button. Installation will start and will only take a mater of seconds. After the installation finish you are asked if you want to register. Answer all questions and you will be redirected to the default login page.
Congratulations! you have just installed SugarCRM on your domain!